Subject: Re: unusual high loads in netbsd
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.org>
From: Andrew Brown <atatat@atatdot.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/18/2004 01:24:05
>> Just installed NetBSD as a move (change) from FreeBSD, heard good things
>> about hardware support and it appears to be a nice system.  However, I've
>> noticed my load is insanely high, sitting around 0.36 Avg
>
>That's not insanely high. Consider how many system threads (like the
>reaper) are rendered runable by ordinary activity. I wouldn't even try
>to compare FreeBSD and NetBSD load averages given that they don't have
>the same sorts of system threads.
>
>"Load Average" is fairly meaningless anyway -- it just tells you how
>many processes are in the run queue on average.

you know...one of the things that i "like" about solaris is that the
"one minute average" drops off rather quickly after a kill a large
compile batch.  or something.  not sure how they do that.

or that we should either.

but it feels nice.

load average is quite system specific.  a load average of 0.36 on one
machine, under one os, can't really be compared to any other machine
or os.  at all.  a load average of 0.36 on a vax is not the same as
the the same load average on a pc, which is not the same if if you
switch the os from netbsd to freebsd.  or back.  or to solaris.  or to
linux.

--
|-----< "CODE WARRIOR" >-----|
werdna@squooshy.com       * "information is power -- share the wealth."