Subject: Re: PC Emulation w/bochs - notes
To: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
From: Richard Rauch <rkr@olib.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/09/2004 14:23:38
On Fri, Jan 09, 2004 at 09:00:51AM -0800, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
> On Fri, 9 Jan 2004, Richard Rauch wrote:
>
> > The other thing is that NetBSD doesn't support PLIP.  I don't know if that
> > would be a real obstacle as long as you're not reading a real parallel port.
>
> I wonder if SLIP is supported too.
>
> (It used to work, then it stopped for me with 1.6. I filed a PR.)

Hrm.

Well, I have NetBSD running on bochs, now.  Very slowly.

Some things move along, but at certain points it seems to just seize up for
a *long* time.  One such time was after "Starting cron" and printing the date
this morning.  It stayed that way for an hour or so, I think, while I was
around.  Now, I come back to it this afternoon and it finishes booting and
gives me a login prompt.  I'm logging in for the first time, as root, and
it's now saying, "Welcome to NetBSD!" and has frozen again.

Maybe tomorrow I'll have a command prompt.  (^&

This delay *is* excessive.  I think that part of it may be brain-damaged
long loops to poll hardware, and part of it may be a side effect of using
pit: (which, all else being equal, does seem to cause a real performance
hit for some things).

Maybe it would be faster if I restarted bochs without pit: and with ips:
set insanely high to counter key-repeat?