Subject: Re: PC emulation.
To: Hubert Feyrer <hubertf@gmx.de>
From: Richard Rauch <rkr@olib.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/09/2004 02:54:22
On Wed, Jan 07, 2004 at 11:30:12PM +0100, Hubert Feyrer wrote:
> In article <20040107011740.GA19050@olib.org> you wrote:
> > Thoughts?  Opinions?  Jeers?
>
> I've played a bit with bochs too in the past few days, and have a
> bochs-current package here, based on 20040106 sources. Drop me a mail if
> you're interested.
>
> I had trouble getting anything gfx'is going though.
> Both in-pkgsrc and bochs-current display a knoppix gfx logo when booting
> the ISO, but later on don't recognize any gfx card. Neither does NetBSD
> (haven't tried that too hard though).
>
> If anyone has information on the gfx hardware emulated by bochs, I'd love
> to hear it.

Try "vga" instead of "vesa".  (VGA, not SVGA.  (^&)  (Do "XFree86 -config",
or such, and edit the config file manually after it exits.)

I have it running in Knoppix, now, but I did it with a trial XF86Config.new,
and no clients running.  I don't know how to get out of that now without
rebooting the virtual machine.

P.S.: I can't give bochs more than 96MB of RAM (and even at that, Knoppix
wants to make a swap partition).  If I go with "megs: 128", bochs dumps
core.

Also, Knoppix 3.1 causes a HD panic ("heads 7 != 119", or so; my virtual
disk has 120 heads).  Similarly, I've also had a number of CPU panics,
often relating the Instruction Pointer to the Code Segment register.

It seems to be figure out what to do if I say "cont" (for "continue").
Does anyone else see these panics?

One other note: I finally let BillOS '98 install.  It crashed the
emulator a few times (in addition to the "normal" reboots that one
has to do).  However, my impression (from watching the ethernet lights
flicker as bochs wrote to my disk-file in an NFS-mounted dir) is that
BillOS '98 was driving the emulated disk a lot better than our native
driver---better, that is, when it wasn't crashing.  (^&  (But that is
from subjective memory, and a lot of those short-term memory bits have
been toggled, so I may be confused.  I've also fiddled with options
in bochs.)