Subject: Question on pkgsrc and python conflicts
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.org>
From: Nicholas Jackson <nicholasj@ncafe.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/08/2004 16:15:11
Please excuse me for asking what I am sure is a newbie question.
Searching the pkgsrc documentation has not brought me an answer to this
question.

On my tiny NetBSD test system I have somehow ended up with two Pythons
python21-pth and python22. I have built all of my packages from source
using pkgsrc, but somewhere along the line an extra python got
installed.

I would like to get to having just one installed, python22-pth (An app
I am hoping to use needs the pthread capability)

Is there a 'best' way to replace the python21-pth with python22-pth and
delete the python22 (non-pth)

I am running pkgsrc-current and I have a number of dependencies on
python21-pth, but only three on the python22.

What I am thinking is that I can probably afford to delete the (newer)
python22 and its 3 dependencies and then upgrade the python21-pth to
python22-pth and reinstall the apps I need somehow making sure that
they see the installed python (somehow they missed the first time which
is how I ended up where I am).

Whats the best sequence of commands for pkgsrc to use to do this that
ensures the desired results? Is there a reference to consult on issues
like this besides the pkgsrc documentation, which doesn't go into
length on what to do in case of package conflicts like this, as far as
I can tell.

Nick
(learning as I go along)