Subject: Re: PC emulation.
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: henry nelson <netb@irm.nara.kindai.ac.jp>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/08/2004 12:19:30
BTW, did I get this mixed up: I thought PC emulation meant you'd run
Losedows ON TOP of NetBSD, ie, boot NetBSD and then run some app to create
a virtual Losedows machine.  Do you mean to say you plan on running NetBSD
on top of Losedows, akin to that Cygwin?

On Wed, Jan 07, 2004 at 04:13:12PM -0600, Richard Rauch wrote:
> module that says "72" on it by the pins is probably a 72-pin SIMM"?

Those things are dirt cheap these days, even EDO.  So you opened up the
box and looked at the memory?  Okay, so how many modules do you have in
there now?  Hopefully, only two (making them 16MB modules), and you have
four slots total, with two slots now empty.

Anyway, if that's really a PentII (233/266MHz) in there, and the motherboard
takes 72-pin SIMMs, do yourself a favor and buy two 32MB 60ns EDO SIMMs.  Put
them in the first two banks and chuck whatever you've got.  If you really
want to go cheap, then look at the numbers on the chips you've got on the
present memory sticks (ends in 400, then FPM; ends in 405, then EDO, and if
-70, then 70ns; if -60, then 60ns), and buy two more modules of the same type
(assuming they're 16MB).

> Anyway.  It's a moot point.  After contemplating the value of buying
> SIMMs vs. the poor performance I was seeing in emulation (I had a
> distant hope that emulation on a fast system might be better than
> lots of swapping on a slow system), I just swapped roles with
> an 800MHz Athlon.
[...]
> This makes so much more sense than throwing money at the problem, don't
> you think?

I dunno.  Seems like your trying to run a $1,000,000 OS on a $0.10 machine,
and a $0.10 OS on a $1,000 machine.

--
henry nelson
 | day job: | http://www.irm.nara.kindai.ac.jp/biorec/nehan/henken.html |