Subject: Re: Fwd: PC emulation.
To: Andy R <quadreverb@yahoo.com>
From: Lubomir Sedlacik <salo@Xtrmntr.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/08/2004 16:53:59
--C311HLcnHV2CzHlo

On Thu, Jan 08, 2004 at 07:41:28AM -0800, Andy R wrote:
> --- Nicholas Jackson <nicholasj@ncafe.com> wrote:
> >=20
> > I'm surprised that nobody has come out with a complete PC on a PCI
> > card option, perhaps using a 2.5 disk. Then, with the proper
> > interface built into the hardware, it might be possible to run a
> > second machine inside of your main OS, without the huge performance
> > hit of vmware, etc.
> >=20
> > I wonder if it would sell? They would make nifty servers..
> >=20
> > They do similar things with the TV cards available now..
>=20
> This does exist actually. Sun did it. I have one sitting here at work
> but I've never used it. It's got an AMD chip (K-6II I think) and 1
> dimm slot. It's got a scsi interface to connect to a disk too. I'm not
> sure what else, I'd have to find it... If this worked under NetBSD or
> some other OS I'd like to use, that would be cool. I've never looked
> into it...

it's called SunPCi (the older 486 and pentium models were SunPC
Accelerator/SunPC).  for further details see the "PC Cards" section at:

  http://sunsolve.sun.com/handbook_pub/Devices/Miscellaneous/MISC_TOC.html

iirc, there are drivers for Windows (as a host OS) to deal with the disk
image on the real disk and virtual drives support.

regards,

--=20
-- Lubomir Sedlacik <salo@Xtrmntr.org>                   --
--                  <salo@silcnet.org>                   --