Subject: Re: Fwd: PC emulation.
To: Nicholas Jackson <nicholasj@ncafe.com>
From: Andy R <quadreverb@yahoo.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/08/2004 07:41:28
--- Nicholas Jackson <nicholasj@ncafe.com> wrote:
> Begin forwarded message:
>
> From: Nicholas Jackson <nicholasj@ncafe.com>
> Date: Thu Jan 8, 2004  7:30:33  AM US/Pacific
> To: Richard Rauch <rkr@olib.org>
> Subject: Re: PC emulation.
>

> I'm surprised that nobody has come out with a
> complete PC on a PCI card
> option, perhaps using a 2.5 disk. Then, with the
> proper interface built
> into the hardware, it might be possible to run a
> second machine inside
> of your main OS, without the huge performance hit of
> vmware, etc.
>
> I wonder if it would sell? They would make nifty
> servers..
>
> They do similar things with the TV cards available
> now..

This does exist actually. Sun did it. I have one
sitting here at work but I've never used it. It's got
an AMD chip (K-6II I think) and 1 dimm slot. It's got
a scsi interface to connect to a disk too. I'm not
sure what else, I'd have to find it... If this worked
under NetBSD or some other OS I'd like to use, that
would be cool. I've never looked into it...

Andy