Subject: Re: PC Emulation w/bochs - notes
To: Andy R <quadreverb@yahoo.com>
From: Richard Rauch <rkr@olib.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/08/2004 08:07:15
Re. http://mail-index.NetBSD.org/netbsd-help/2004/01/08/0001.html

I'm not sure what you are asking.  BillOS does PPP and BillOS does
SLIP.  I've used both with BillOS '95, I believe.  In one case, I was
getting files off of my Amiga.  PPP wasn't well-supported on the Amiga,
and NetBSD's SLIP was *impossible* to fix to use a decent MTU.  While,
on paper, NetBSD's hard-coded SLIP MTU works well, in practice it was
terrible for talking to the Amiga.  Due to a funky serial port, the
Amiga's throughput was chopped to about 1/3rd what it would have
allowed, at 37400(37800?)bps.  (No doubt the fixed MTU generally
worked well in practice, but the code (I recall) took pains to
make it difficult to change the MTU, for no apparent benfit---mean-
while having a real negative impact on some cases such as mine.)

I do seem to recall that BillOS has slightly different functionality
on "dial-up networking" interfaces.  I don't know if that's a design
decision to limit security problems for dial-up users, or if it's a
result of cut'n'paste programming inside MonopolySoft.

Since my understanding of how bochs handles network interfaces would
be pretty unreasonable to set up, I am probably wrong.  I just didn't
see an alternative interpretation.  (^&  I certainly haven't *tried*
it.

As for usability, it's pretty limited even on a 2GHz AMD64 (AMD64 "3200").
Though your impression seems to be much more favorable on the performance
penalty.  I wonder if a dual CPU helps in some subtle way?  Or maybe
you've turned up the optimization levels somehow?

If you find out why plex86 was yanked from pkgsrc, I'd like to know.
I commented on that, I think, in my original post.