Subject: PC Emulation w/bochs - notes
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Andy R <quadreverb@yahoo.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/07/2004 16:13:41
Hello all. I was intrigued by this exchange so I
started a few installs on it of my own. I've had some
problems and I just wanted to start a new thread on
actual use. I'm using a FreeBSD 4.8 host at the moment
(dual Celeron 366 with 256 megs) because that's all
that's available. But I installed (or am installing)
Windows 98 and NetBSD into it so far.

o The ne2k card seems to not work. I get this error:
Event type: PANIC
Device: [NE2K ]
Message: eth_freebsd: could not open packet filter:
Permission denied

I continued through it and the card was recognized by
the NetBSD guest, but when I tried to use ifconfig to
set an address for it, it crashed the entire vm. I
don't know why, I'll have to check into it. Anyone
know?

o The pit: realtime=1 setting seems mandatory. I
couldn't type on the keyboard at all without it
repeating very fast. Like if I try to type root, it
comes out like rrrrrrrroooooooooooooooooootttttttt
unless pit: realtime=1 is set. Then it behaves
normally.

o The CPU speed is coming up as different things every
time, but it's around 1 mhz. It seems to be responding
as if it was a slow CPU, but not 1 mhz. Maybe 50 mhz?
I don't know.

o I read in the manual at bochs.sourceforge.net that
Windows 98 will take "12 hours" to install. Well, that
seems to be about true. It's not pleasant, it takes
forever. It's still not done and I started about 8
hours ago.

o I'm not sure yet if this is actually going to be
viable. If I can't get the "network adpater" working,
the answer is no. But I still need to try it on
another host. The responsiveness of the vm isn't THAT
bad though. It might work. But without networking,
forget it.