Subject: RE: PC emulation.
To: Greg Troxel <gdt@ir.bbn.com>
From: Conrad T. Pino <NetBSD-Current@Pino.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/07/2004 15:13:03
Hi Greg,

> From: Greg Troxel [mailto:gdt@ir.bbn.com]
>
> There are a few problems:
>
>   vmware costs $300.

OK then the above implies:

   1. Not all packages in pkgsrc are $0.00 cost.  True?
   2. Not all source distributions are $0.00 cost.  True?

I'm assuming the vmware packages behave like GPL open source packages
in that the package downloads, the distribution source code downloads
and can then be compiled, installed and run.  Is my assumption faulty?

I'm not advocating any criminal activity whatsoever but as a practical
matter how does VMware enforce their license if the package behaves as
I assumed above?

>   vmware works pretty well, but I (with vmware2) have occasional
>   lockups and crashes.

In pkgsrc speak "vmware" is "VMware Workstation 2.x" and "vmware3" is
"VMware Workstation 3.x" i.e. there is no "vmware2" in pkgsrc speak.

Can you clarify which version "works pretty well" and the version that
has "occasional lockups and crashes" using pkgsrc speak?

TIA,

Conrad