Subject: Re: PC emulation.
To: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
From: Richard Rauch <rkr@olib.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/07/2004 17:03:47
On Wed, Jan 07, 2004 at 02:56:12PM -0800, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
> On Wed, 7 Jan 2004, Richard Rauch wrote:
>
> > Except for MozillaFirebird (which is very sluggish on the 266MHz 32MB PII),
>
> I am pretty sure it is a lack of memory.

Oh, yes.  I'm sure that's the problem.  (^&

But as that is the only problem, and I'd rather have it running locally on
the AMD64, I am prepared to accept that as a temporary casualty.  Everything
else is much better this way.  I didn't really intend to keep running
MozillaFirebird "remotely" so long, anyway: I tried to compile it on the
AMD64.  That blew up.  I filed a PR with some patches but thought that it
was worthwhile trying some other browsers.  None looked all that promising
so I went back to MozillaFirebird, and supplied more patches to make it
compile.  (This is all at the end of a long PR that includes a dump of
warnings.  I should have mentioned at the top that patches were at-bottom,
and am afraid that a list of spewage fromt he compiler put people off
picking up the patches.  (sigh)  Not that the patches really solve the
problem.)

Once I got it to compile, it didn't display anything useful.

There actually wasn't that much to patch, to get past the compiler
errors.

I suspect that the more current development may have addressed these
issues by now (another reason why the PR may not have been acted upon).