Subject: Re: PC emulation.
To: Daniel Bolgheroni <dbolgheroni@uol.com.br>
From: Richard Rauch <rkr@olib.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/07/2004 16:13:12
Re. http://mail-index.netbsd.org/netbsd-help/2004/01/07/0002.html

Um, that is a very strange suggestion.  Why on Earth would I lug a whole
box around to someone to have them tell me that 'Yes, indeed, a memory
module that says "72" on it by the pins is probably a 72-pin SIMM"?

If I were going to take anything to someone else, it would make sense
to suggest taking the RAM to them for positive identification of
type and (as I remember the SIMM days more clearly) speed.  That would
make sense, up to the point that it makes sense to spend money on
SIMMs.  (It's not as if a SIMM that I might buy for this PII will ever
be useful for anything else I have.  My printer, I think, is supposed
to take 72 pin SIMMs, but it's okay with the one it has.)

Anyway.  It's a moot point.  After contemplating the value of buying
SIMMs vs. the poor performance I was seeing in emulation (I had a
distant hope that emulation on a fast system might be better than
lots of swapping on a slow system), I just swapped roles with
an 800MHz Athlon.

The Athlon is no longer doing any heavy lifting (well, that just changed;
running a certain bloated OS *is* heavy lifting).  The PII should be fine
in the Athlon's shoes with 32MB of RAM.

This makes so much more sense than throwing money at the problem, don't
you think?

The one downside is that I'd been using the Athlon to run MozillaFirebird,
since (even after some patches I made) Firebird is pretty useless on
the AMD64.  Running that software on the 32MB PII is painfully slow.
That means that I either need to put more work into making MozillaFirebird
work on the AMD64, or I need to find another web-browser that I like.
(I *did* get attached to "tabbed" browsing; if I could add that, and restore
cut-and-paste, in links, links would be nice, I think.)