Subject: Re: PC emulation.
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.org>
From: henry nelson <netb@irm.nara.kindai.ac.jp>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/07/2004 11:36:56
On Tue, Jan 06, 2004 at 07:17:40PM -0600, Richard Rauch wrote:
> I was wondering if anyone has played a whole lot with PC emulation on NetBSD.

     No, but it's an area I'd like to get into.

> I "need" to run a certain MonopolySoft company's OS

     DOS, Losedows3.1, Losedows95, Losedows98, LosedowsXP ?

> One option is to keep a presently-installed 32MB PII.

     Experience tells me that you won't feel comfortable with anything
     above 95 with only 32MB.  (Generally speaking for _comfort_ AND not
     a lot of heavy graphics, i486/16MB=3.1; Pent/32MB=95; PentII-III/
     64MB=98; PentIV/256MB=XP.)  I don't see how a PC emulation could get
     by with less hardware than for the basic OS, but indeed this is what
     I'm interested in hearing about.

> (I'm thinking that a 128MB Athlon might be enough for BillOS)
[...]
> I was hoping to set up a virtual PC and installing the 1998 edition of

     98 sounds good.  You'd need 1.+GHz for XP; otherwise it's just mud.
     I recommend SE if you can swing it.  (Don't touch 2000 with anything
     shorter than a ten-foot pole.)

> PII swapping or else taking NetBSD off of the Athlon (with all due

     Please, no.  Could you install 95 on that PII?  I have 95 running on
     an IBM Aptiva (86MhzPOD/32MB), and it doodles along okay.  The other
     alternative is to get two 16MB 72-pin edo modules or one 32MB 168-pin
     module to get that PII up to 98 requirements.  (The former come out
     of dumpsters over here these days -- one of the few advantages to
     living in this land of plenty [of waste]. :)

> Thoughts?  Opinions?  Jeers?

     Good luck.  Keep us informed of what works out for you.

--
henry nelson
 | day job: | http://www.irm.nara.kindai.ac.jp/biorec/nehan/henken.html |