Subject: Re: PC emulation.
To: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
From: Richard Rauch <rkr@olib.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/06/2004 23:18:06
On Tue, Jan 06, 2004 at 08:20:10PM -0800, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
> On Tue, 6 Jan 2004, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
 [...]
> I also remember now that time goes way fast for me. I left bochs running
> my NetBSD for 24 hours on New Year's day and it jumped to January 11.
> Another time, it was already over an hour fast when I only used for a few
> minutes.

I think that the option is "pit: realtime".

It may interest you to know that my AMD64 is turning in a virtual CPU
speed of 19.94MHz.  The real clock speed is about 100x that.

Also, turning on the realtime option seems to have altered the behavior
re. "no /dev/console".  It looks like it just goes past that, now (prints
the warning, but doesn't pause).  On the other hand, it feels like it
is slower in the parts leading up to that message.

(Maybe certain device I/O emulations go slower?  Perhaps it is during
real, or emulated, device I/O that it resyncs its clock when you h ave
"realtime" enabled?)

(It is now past creating mfs /dev, and in the installer, running installboot.
(^&  Some bits are quite laggy, but so far so good.)