Subject: Re: PC emulation.
To: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
From: Richard Rauch <rkr@olib.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/06/2004 22:57:03
On Tue, Jan 06, 2004 at 08:20:10PM -0800, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
> On Tue, 6 Jan 2004, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
>
> > > What BIOS image are you using?
>
> I read that wrong. I am using what ever is the default.
>
> 00000000000i[MEM0 ] rom at 0xc0000/32769 ('/usr/pkg/share/bochs/bios/VGABIOS-elpin-2.40')

Same as I have, then, I think.

I was trying to boot a NetBSD 1.5.2 install CD and finally gave up after
a *long* time at "root file system type: ffs".  It has frozen there,
again, with the "latest-lgpl" BIOS image.

> I also remember now that time goes way fast for me. I left bochs running
> my NetBSD for 24 hours on New Year's day and it jumped to January 11.
> Another time, it was already over an hour fast when I only used for a few
> minutes.

Hm.  I thought that the default was calibrated for a ~200MHz Pentium or PII
(Maybe 166, maybe 266) running bochs (should look like a ~2.5MHz CPU).

This can be calibrated with an option.  There's also a "realtime"(?)
option so that it automatically adjusts its virtual clock to reflect
the instructions it's actually performing per second.

> > I have booted NetBSD/i386 1.6.3_RC3 boot-big.fs. The menu had some
> > problems though: arrow keys worked, but letters and enter didn't.
>
> This time the keys all worked, but didn't detect any disk. I never
> configured bochs to have a "virtual" harddisk to install too.

I think you can just dd-write a big file and then set up an ATA entry
with the appropriate geometry.  Look at the "bochsrc" (or ~/.bochsrc
with a ".", if you copied that to your home dir).

I have a ~600MB hard disk file.  I will need a larger one if I want to use
this as I was planning.  But...for now, I can't even install an OS to it,
so it seems kind of a moot point.  (^&

> When I exited sysinst to the shell, then my keys started repeating and was
> impossible to use from there... eeeexxxxxittt

Hm...

I've restarted a September NetBSD-current boot CD.  After it paused at the
"no /dev/console" message, and restarted with a key-press from me, it
went into "Creating mfs /dev".  I'll let it run for a while.  (^&

Maybe it'll boot.