Subject: Re: PC emulation.
To: Richard Rauch <rkr@olib.org>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/06/2004 20:09:52
On Tue, 6 Jan 2004, Richard Rauch wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 06, 2004 at 07:21:01PM -0800, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
> > On Wed, 7 Jan 2004, Michal Pasternak wrote:
>  [...]
> > I have just been using it to run live cds. I haven't tried installation
> > yet.
>
> What BIOS image are you using?

I have booted NetBSD/i386 1.6.3_RC3 boot-big.fs. The menu had some
problems though: arrow keys worked, but letters and enter didn't.

I have booted my own Live CD of NetBSD 1.6. It worked for running bash and
a few commands. This may have taken more than 10 minutes to boot.

(Creating mfs and /dev takes a long time -- maybe five minutes.)

I also used "keyboard_serial_delay: 2000" (Thank you Hubert!)

I also booted some Linux CD.

An OpenBSD CD image I had wouldn't boot due not finding /bsd.

bochs 2.0.2 is running on my NetBSD 1.6.3_RC3 system (well older kernel
not rebooted since October). It is 450Mhz machine with 128MB ram.

I hope to document and write an article about some of my experiences with
it.

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://bsd.reedmedia.net/