Subject: Re: PC emulation.
To: Michal Pasternak <michal@pasternak.w.lub.pl>
From: Richard Rauch <rkr@olib.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/06/2004 21:05:14
On Wed, Jan 07, 2004 at 02:36:08AM +0100, Michal Pasternak wrote:
> Jeremy C. Reed [Tue, Jan 06, 2004 at 05:31:26PM -0800]:
> > I have been using:
> >
> > bochs -q 'boot:cdrom' \
> >  'ata0-master: type=cdrom, path=/path/to/iso, status=inserted'
>
> My try to install NetBSD-stable from ISO on bochs hanged at hardware
> detection -- or, maybe it was just a long loop? Are you able to install nbsd
> on bochs?

I tried -current from late last year.  I also tried a 1.6 CD

The -current paused when it couldn't find /dev/console until I pressed
a key (I tried this a couple of times; it definitely was waint for a
keypress).  Then it seemed to stop in generating the /dev/ nodes on its
memory disk.  It could have just been slow, but it took a terribly long
time and I gave up.

NetBSD 1.6 also seemed to seize up at some point.  I forget where, now.

I tried -current on bochs with both the Athlon 800MHz and the AMD64.
The AMD64 was generally much faster, but I hoped that on i386, there
might be some/enough assembly code in bochs to help compensate---and
also I hoped that the apparent lockup was due to a bug (there were
a few, possibly significant, warnings when compiling bochs on the
AMD64).  Unfortunately, both hopes proved false: bochs just ran far
slower on the i386 Athlon and locked up in the same spot.

On a whim, I tried a Knoppix CD someone had given me (also seemed to
lock up at some point) and then decided to see if Microsoft had ever
figured out how to make a bootable CD.  (Surprise!  They did figure
it out, but it seems to freeze during, or just after, the installer
identifies the CD type.)

Oh well...