Subject: Re: PC emulation.
To: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
From: Richard Rauch <rkr@olib.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/06/2004 20:12:59
On Tue, Jan 06, 2004 at 05:31:26PM -0800, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
> On Tue, 6 Jan 2004, Richard Rauch wrote:
>
> >  * bochs from pkgsrc.  I've started to play with it, but am running into
> >    problems getting it to read a CD (real or image file).
>
> I haven't used it for commercial operating systems, but lately started
> testing it out.
>
> I have been using:
>
> bochs -q 'boot:cdrom' \
>  'ata0-master: type=cdrom, path=/path/to/iso, status=inserted'

...adding "boot:cdroom" helps, for systems that have bootable CDs.

MHz is claimed to be about 2.5MHz, but I don't think that it is getting
a valid realtime clock.  I can see it loading the NetBSD kernel...

I think that I'll install NetBSD on this thing and see how that plays
at least.  (It seems to stall after complaining about no /dev/console;
pushing a key makes it restart and go into "creating mfs /dev".  I'm
not sure if it is still doing anything, or stuck again.  (sigh))