Subject: Re: PC emulation.
To: Michal Pasternak <michal@pasternak.w.lub.pl>
From: Richard Rauch <rkr@olib.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/06/2004 20:06:28
On Wed, Jan 07, 2004 at 02:02:11AM +0100, Michal Pasternak wrote:
> Richard Rauch [Tue, Jan 06, 2004 at 07:17:40PM -0600]:
> > If that doesn't pan out, I'm leaning towards either living with the
> > PII swapping or else taking NetBSD off of the Athlon (with all due
> > tears shed).
>
> PII -- do you mean Pentium II ? Well, IMO those are still good CPUs. You
> should be able to buy extra RAM for it at very reasonable prices these days.
> With 128 or 256 MB this machine will be like new.

I don't buy RAM on a regular basis, and everytime that I do, it seems that
they have new types going around, and it's not clear if they are
backwards-compatible with older systems.

Given that I have little interest inside of a PC's box once it's running,
and prompt forget useless details about voltage levels and whatnot, is
it safe to assume that if the memory modules *look* the same (same
connectors) that newer memory will work in this machine?

I've assumed not.