Subject: Re: killed: out of swap
To: =?iso-8859-1?q?Vesbula?= <vesbula@yahoo.co.uk>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/05/2004 12:16:10
On Mon, 5 Jan 2004, Vesbula wrote:

> > You could try tuning the values shown by "sysctl
> > vm". Increasing, say
> > "vm.anonmax" to 100%, and lowering "vm.filemin" and
> > "vm.execmin" might
> > let more of the other processes page out, freeing up
> > memory. The fact
>
> I'm using settings anonmax = 100, execmin = 0, and
> filemin = 0. This seems to increase available memory
> for processing. Are there any other settings, for
> example defines in kernel config file?

Compile-time kernel defines are described in options(4). Since you
can't hardly use more memory than you have, I guess you want to make
the kernel itself smaller. You may get some more ideas by looking at
the configs for the INSTALL kernels, though their constraints are
slightly different than yours. (They just need to fit on a floppy.)
They currently have "options PIPE_SOCKETPAIR", "options
MALLOC_NOINLINE", "options VNODE_OP_NOINLINE", and of course,
they have many features stripped out.

Frederick