Subject: Re: killed: out of swap
To: Vesbula <vesbula@yahoo.co.uk>
From: Michal Pasternak <michal@pasternak.w.lub.pl>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/04/2004 00:20:53
Vesbula [Sun, Jan 04, 2004 at 12:02:48AM +0000]:
> > > Hello, adding swap does not help me. If I do that
> > the
> > > process will effectively stop running.
> >
> > Is your system mis-configured or something like
> > that?
>
> No. What I mean is that paging slows things too much.

So add more RAM and optimize the code so it uses less memory! Process your
data in chunks, don't allocate more RAM than it's needed...

I may be totally wrong here, but "biowait" state and low CPU utilization
doesn't look for me equal as "app is paging and got terribly slowed down"
(sorry, don't have NetBSD box to test this) -- propably the problem lies
somewhere else.

> I tried your program, with datasize
> 200000 it says "I can allocate as much as 199860
> Kbytes.", and it is not killed by UVM. I think the
> difference is that your program does not do any IO,
> and therefore consumes very little system resources.

Are we talking about some particular application, that exists? What is it?

Can you break it while it's in "biowait" state and send the gdb backtrace?

What is the language the application is written in?

What is the compiler? What is it's version?

What is your architecture, what is your NetBSD version, do you use pthreads
or pth?

What are you doing? Why are you doing it that particular way?

We can't go any further without you explaining some basic things. At least I
can't.

You can find generic information about NetBSD tuning at

	http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/tune/

--
Michal Pasternak :: http://pasternak.w.lub.pl :: http://winsrc.sf.net
:: free, legal mp3 :: darmowe, legalne mp3 :: http://magnatune.com ::