Subject: Re: killed: out of swap
To: =?iso-8859-1?q?Vesbula?= <vesbula@yahoo.co.uk>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/03/2004 18:26:11
On Sat, 3 Jan 2004, Vesbula wrote:

> > debuggers, other monitoring tools... IMO it's not
> > worth to spend so much
> > time if you can add more swap :)
>
> Hello, adding swap does not help me. If I do that the
> process will effectively stop running. What happens is
> that the process is always in biowait state utilizing
> only about one per cent of cpu time. What I'm looking
> for is a way allocate maximum memory for one process.

You could try tuning the values shown by "sysctl vm". Increasing, say
"vm.anonmax" to 100%, and lowering "vm.filemin" and "vm.execmin" might
let more of the other processes page out, freeing up memory. The fact
that you can change these on a running system is one of the neat new
features of NetBSD 1.6. (It's called the "Unified Buffer Cache".)

Frederick