Subject: Re: Updating userland for netbsd-1-6 branch
To: Cory Bajus <cbajus@mts.net>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 12/31/2003 15:10:37
On Tue, Dec 30, 2003 at 12:54:37AM -0600, Cory Bajus wrote:
> I am trying to follow the instructions for 'Updating a stable NetBSD
> Release' (http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/updating.html).  It
> all seems to work well except for the 'Updating the userland' step.
>
> I am new to the NetBSD build process, but I am familiar with the
> 'buildworld' and 'installworld' targets for FreeBSD.  The docs
> suggest to use 'build.sh -d' to build and install the updated
> userland, but doing that gives an error message that '-d' should
> only be used with a non-root DESTDIR.  Building into another DESTDIR
> works (this seems similar to 'buildworld' under FreeBSD), but what
> is the correct method to install the new userland into '/' (what is
> the 'installworld' step)?
>
> Something that did seem to work for me is just do 'build.sh' (no
> arguments) - it seems to build and install everthing but '/etc'
> into '/'.  Following that with an 'etcupdate' appeared to work, but
> is this considered a supported method for updating the userland?
>
> If possible, however, I would prefer to update the userland in two
> steps:
>
> 1. build into non-root DESTDIR
> 2. install (single user) using the new build or release tarballs.

I don't have the 1.6.x sources handy, so I'm writting this from memory.
I think you need to use the -D and -R options (see BUILDING at the top of src
tree for usage) to build.sh to have it build a release and create the sets.
Then you can just extract the sets to / in single user mode.

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>