Subject: Partitions configured by NetBSD not seen by Win2K
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Gan Uesli Starling <alias@starling.us>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 12/31/2003 10:43:19
I have a slave drive configured entirely from NetBSD. It
has two partitions. One of them is MSDOS. I'd like for
Win2K to see this partition. But it thinks the disk is
'unconfigured'.

I performed via this instruction...
http://netbsd.org/Documentation/misc/#adding-a-disk
...with slight deviations per 'man' for the MS-DOS side.

Win2K sees the drive okay. It also reports that the device
and the drivers are working. But insists that the drive
has no partitions. Partition Magic says the same thing.

HOW THAT HAPPENED:

I had suffered an HD crash (no great travail since I was
backed up). It was a slave drive with two partitions,
one 4.2BSD and the other MSDOS. The MSDOS side is just
for data shared between NetBSD and Win2K: text, photos
and Perl scripts. The other partition is /usr on NetBSD.

When first I set up the old HD I'd done it from Win2K using
Partitin Magic to divide the HD. Then I ex-post-facto
converted one partition for 4.2BSD from NetBSD.

Thinking that I ought to migrate toward lesser dependence
on Win2K, this time I elected to do the configuring from
NetBSD.

The two partitions both work fine for NetBSD. But Win2K
does not see either one of them. Win2K says that the disk
is unconfigured.

Is there a work-around for this? Something I can do from
either OS so that Win2K can see the MS-DOS partition and
assign it a letter?

TIA,

Gan

--