Subject: Re: Using partitions and better package selection/installation
To: Srinivasa Kanduru <ksraghavan@yahoo.com>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 12/29/2003 12:47:02
I removed current from the Cc. (Don't need to cross-post to lists.)

On Mon, 29 Dec 2003, Srinivasa Kanduru wrote:

> a) how to mount partitions of various filesystems ?

Look at mbrlabel command. It can help create a disklabel for your various
filesystems.

Maybe try:
  mbrlabel -w /dev/wd0

> b) is there a tool to assist in package selection and installation like
> apt-get/apt-cache search as in Debian linux (or portupgrade as in FreeBSD) ?

There is not a single file listing all available packages (and
dependencies) like Debian's available file (yet). That is something I am
working on.

If you have the pkgsrc collection installed, then go into your pkgsrc
directory, and try "./pkglocate keyword" to find packages. For example:

  cd /usr/pkgsrc
  ./pkglocate apache # to find packages related to "apache"

(This is slow.)

Have a look at the packages and pkgsrc documentation at the website and in
the Packages.txt file.

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://www.reedmedia.net/