Subject: Using partitions and better package selection/installation
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org, netbsd-current@netbsd.org>
From: Srinivasa Kanduru <ksraghavan@yahoo.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 12/29/2003 11:32:52
Hi,

I have installed netbsd-current on my i386 system and it is working fine. I am
looking for certain features which I couldn't figure out how to use it in
netbsd.

I have three primary partitions on my intel machine and created a number of
logical extended partitions for all data filesystems.

My questions:
a) how to mount partitions of various filesystems ?
   [ as you can see below the naming convention in netbsd seems to be different
from FreeBSD]

b) is there a tool to assist in package selection and installation like
apt-get/apt-cache search as in Debian linux (or portupgrade as in FreeBSD) ?

c) FreeBSD 5.1 seems to have added ACLs feature to ufs filesystems (used by
default). Can it be mounted as read-only filesystem on NetBSD ?

Sysinst recognizes all the filesystems, but when I boot the regular kernel I
couldn't see a way of mounting those partitions.

 a:          0       2047  d  Linux native            Linux
 b:       2047       2047   I NetBSD (/)              NetBSD
 c:       4094       2048 a   FreeBSD/386BSD (/)      FreeBSD
 d:       6142      70174     Extended partition
 e:       6142      10236     NetBSD
 f:      16378      10237     NetBSD
 g:      26615      10237     FreeBSD/386BSD (/disk)
 h:      36852      10236     FreeBSD/386BSD
 i:      47088      10237     Linux native
 j:      57325      10237     Linux native
 k:      67562       7985     Linux native

$ mount
/dev/wd0a on / type ffs (local)
/dev/wd0f on /usr type ffs (local)
kernfs on /kern type kernfs (local)

# mount -t ufs -o ro /dev/wd0c /mnt
mount_ufs: /dev/wd0c on /mnt: Device not configured

Thanks,
Srini.