Subject: Re: NIC configuration problem
To: Gilbert Fernandes <gilbertf@netbsd-fr.org>
From: JS <oghistorian@yahoo.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 12/24/2003 13:23:03
Hi Gilbert,

Thank you very much for the info!  I tried it out and
everything went pretty smooth until I started
unzipping the files.  My /usr dir was full!  So I
deleted the pkgsrc and it freed enough space to
continue.

After installing everything, I then configured it for
the Dlink NIC and rebooted.  However, I am still
getting the watchdog timeout error during the boot and
if I try to use the card.  Is there anything else I
could try to get the card working?

Also, I am thinking of doing a reinstall of 1.6.1
because some other things aren't working properly
under this snapshot.  But, they only stopped when I
unzipped and installed the .tgz files. However, when I
booted under the new kernel but with the old files,
other hardware was recognized better.  Because of
this, I am wondering, can I use the new kernel but
keep the old files?

Thanks,
J Silverman
--- Gilbert Fernandes <gilbertf@netbsd-fr.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 22, 2003 at 10:01:44AM -0800, JS wrote:
>
> this is rather easy. the netbsd project has a
> few machines we call "releng" which do daily
> builds of current source, and it records what
> happened for each platform.
>
> first use a web browser to check releng.netbsd.org
> and check what is the last succesful recorded
> build for your platform. use the first link to
> uccess Sat Dec 13 00:00:00 UTC 2003 tgm
>
> link is :
> http://releng.netbsd.org/ab/B_HEAD/arch.html
>
> then scroll down to the i386 line. from
> there we can see that :
>
> 386 Current Build Prior Build Last Success
> * Fail * Tue Dec 16 00:00:00 UTC 2003 tgm
> Success Sat Dec 13 00:00:00 UTC 2003 tgm
>
> so we got success on Dec 13. now you can use
> a ftp client to check releng.netbsd.org
> and find the folder where the install files
> are found. the first thing to do is download
> a kernel and boot it. then you can just use
> tar to install the new snapshot (doing a
> backup of /etc and /root can be helpful,
> to save your config and some personal dot
> config files in /root). there are better
> ways to do that but i like it fast and hard,
> so i just use tar from my root / to install
> snapshots and "jump" from a snapshot to another
> (this can be dangerous but doing a snapshot
> jump as i call it can be fun)
>

> right now i'm using a snapshot but i dont
> recall when i did it exactly. i'm using
> 1.6ZG and it works just fine with everything.
> i don't know which one is the current one.
>
> what sometimes does break is pkgsrc when
> you jump to a snapshot but that doesn't happen
> that much. so removing all your pkgsrc installed
> stuff is not always a good idea before a
> jump but once you are running a snaphot it's
> not a bad idea to check (and upgrade) your
> pkgsrc for new stuff since some changes in
> current might break some installed software.
>
> download the file netbsd-GENERIC.gz from :
>
> ftp://releng.netbsd.org/
>
> folder :

/pub/NetBSD-daily/current/200312130000/i386/binary/kernel

> now we install it on / :
>
> gzip -d netbsd-GENERIC.gz
> mv netbsd-GENERIC /netbsd.current
>
> boot it. when you reboot, hit any key
> when the netbsd loader appears and type
> "boot netbsd.current". if everything seems
> to be detected properly and is working,
> you can push farther.
>
> on the ftp of releng.netbsd.org move to the
> following folder :

/pub/NetBSD-daily/current/200312130000/i386/binary/sets