Subject: Re: Server sometimes unresponsive to attempts at remote
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.org>
From: Keith Parker <kparker@pobox.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 12/20/2003 15:57:05
Thanks, Alan.  I'm going to have him check with his provider.  I think your
reasoning may be right on.

The following question is for my education, so there's no need to respond!  ;-)

I'm wondering if your suggestion does explain the situation.  It may not be
so much the *telnet* into the box, as it is that he's on a 2nd box that has
awakened the DSL connection at his house?  In effect the telnet is
irrelevant, it's the awakened DSL that's allowing me to get back in.

His account is a personal not a business account.  I wonder if that's one
way of keeping people from setting up web servers at home.

A little more to the story:
The other night I scheduled his server to ping every 3 minutes.  It was
late, and I had been working with windows that day and was used to the
"ping 4 times and quit" behavior.  When I scheduled the pings, I didn't
specify a count.  Basically, I was able to get into the server that day -
all day.  He called me later that night and asked what I was doing with the
server because it was really churning.  Turns out every 3 minutes I was
scheduling a ping.  Ugh!

What's worse...I had set the server to ping my address (or so I
thought).  Turns out I was ping flooding another friend.  His 4th octect is
8 digits more than mine and when I'm tired I have been known to switch
them.  This was one of those cases.  Not only was I scheduling a gazillion
pings, I was actually attempting to ping-flood someone else too!

Once you stop laughing at my goofup, I'm wondering if your answer might
explain that phenomenon.

I didn't share that little tidbit (in addition to the fact that it makes me
look like an idiot) because I was unable to get into the server today after
scheduling a ping with a count of 1 every 3 minutes.  I wondered if perhaps
my ability to access the server was unrelated to the scheduled ping-flood
from the day before.  Now I'm not so sure.  I think I will reschedule a
single, infinite ping and see if that enables access.

On a different note: When I discovered the ping-flood mistake, I was
expecting 320 pings to be running on the server (16 hours * 20 pings an
hour), but there were not nearly that many.  Makes me wonder if perhaps
ping defaults to stopping after X attempts.  If so, X is a number much
higher than the windows choice of 4, but much higher than I've ever let a
ping run before manually stopping it.