Subject: Server sometimes unresponsive to attempts at remote connection
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Keith Parker <kparker4@midsouth.rr.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 12/19/2003 16:01:34
Hi all,

Anyone run into a problem where remote access attempts (ssh, telnet, ftp)
are periodically not responded to by the server?
The problem expresses itself like this: I try unsuccessfully to access the
(remote) server all day (after a night of inactivity).  When the server's
owner gets home (where the server is), I call them.  They attempt to telnet
in from another box, and then say "Hmm...I can telnet in locally from a PC
on the server's network".  After they successfully establish a connection,
or at least get a login prompt, I can access the machine.

My first thought was that the machine might be going into some kind of
BIOS-induced sleep mode.  I checked to see if the PC's BIOS power
management options were enabled, but they weren't.  He's got the server on
a KVM switch, and assures me that it isn't being touched.  I've installed
the same configuration on 2 other PCs and have had no problems getting into
them.

The only differences between those two and the unfriendly one is (1) the PC
age and brand, though all are PII class (2) The two other locations use
cable (static IP) and the unresponsive one is on DSL (static IP).

The NetBSD 1.6.1 install was default, I haven't tweaked any power
management stuff there.
I'm a bit early in the troubleshooting process, but thought I'd check to
see if anyone had any advice.

Does anyone have any thoughts on possible things I might explore?

Thanks