Subject: Re: what does "DAD detected duplicate IPv6 address" mean?
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.org>
From: henry nelson <netb@irm.nara.kindai.ac.jp>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 12/18/2003 09:31:32
On Wed, Dec 17, 2003 at 08:59:51AM -0700, Diana Eichert wrote:
> On Wed, 17 Dec 2003, Klaus Klein wrote:
> > >     From:        henry nelson
> > >   | Adding interface aliases:
> > >   | ep0: DAD detected duplicate IPv6 address
> > >   | fe80:0001::0260:97ff:fe13:39e7: 20 NS, 0 NA ep0: DAD complete for
> > >   | fe80:0001::0260:97ff:fe13:39e7 - duplicate found ep0: manual
> > >   | intervention required
> SNIP
> > It is also possible that this is an issue with the ep(4) driver
> > itself; see PR kern/17523 for a discussion of such an issue with hme(4).
> > For debugging purposes, putting another system on the same wire and
                            ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Unfortunately I am not allowed to do this.

> > running tcpdump on it might be useful.

To add more to my report, the reason I rebooted my router (ipfilter/nat)
in the first place was that connections to the outside by ssh, telnet or
http suddenly became ridiculously slow, and I wondered if the machine had
gone haywire since a PC in another room was connecting without any problem.

About an hour later, when things speeded up to normal, I rebooted again,
and the "duplicate" message had disappeared.

> I concur with Klaus, are you autodetecting the link speed?  If so try
> setting the link speed and duplex setting in the ifconfig.ep0 file.  This

This is a rather old ISA card (3Com EtherLink III, 3C509B) so I don't think
link speed is a problem.  However, duplex setting (does this card support
duplex?) and media type are being autodetected AFAIK.  I need to check my
notes, but I think this card did better if I let it autodetect the media
type.  The card's PnP has been disabled with the proprietary software that
came with the card, i.e., it's legacy ISA (because the motherboard seems
to goof up the PnP assignments).

> was the way I worked around it on an hme device.  Please post the output
> of ifconfig ep0 also.

This is now *after* the problem cleared up (I overwrote the ipv4 ip).  When
things were bad, I did run ifconfig -a, and indeed there was a warning about
a duplicate, IIRC just before or after the word "scopeid" on the last line.

ep0: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,NOTRAILERS,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
        address: 00:60:97:13:39:e7
        media: Ethernet 10base5
        inet 218.66.41.70 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 218.66.41.255
        inet6 fe80::260:97ff:fe13:39e7%ep0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x1

BTW, if it's significant, the other nic (on the internal lan) is ne0, a
Melco LGY-AT-D.

Thanks everyone.  I appreciate your help.

--
henry nelson
 | day job: | http://www.irm.nara.kindai.ac.jp/biorec/nehan/henken.html |