Subject: Re: Very large file systems
To: <>
From: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 12/17/2003 21:48:09
On Wed, Dec 17, 2003 at 11:37:49AM -0700, Heather D. Pfeiffer wrote:

> Hi.  We are running current on a new fileserver that came with a 16
> disk raid system.  I am trying to `disklabel' and `newfs' the raid
> system (configured as a RAID Level 5 - single disk system) for
> mounting on the new fileserver.  However, right now the disklabel is
> giving negative numbers for what the size of the "disk" is on the
> system.

The NetBSD disklabel can only support 'disks' with upto 2^32 sectors.
Quite probably parts of the code only support 2^31 sectors.

> Also, newfs talks about using FFSversion2 for over a teribit
> size disk (this is 4 teribits).

FFSv2 is only needed for filesystems with more than 2^31 fragments.
AKAICT it has no other significant advantages.

FFSv1 will support more than 2^31 sectors provided the fragment size
is large enough.

> If anyone has done this could they give me any hints on why disklabel
> is giving negative numbers and how to set it up?

In spite of the work done to make the kernel use 64bit numbers for disk
sectors (pulling in 64bit division routines in code paths where you
don't really want to be doing a software divide) I haven't seen a
serious suggestion on how to modify the netbsd disklabel to support
such big disks.

	David

--
David Laight: david@l8s.co.uk