Subject: what regenerates sendmail.cf at boot time ?
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: John Refling <refling@stanfordalumni.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 12/16/2003 02:11:46
I am looking at -current on the i386 from a few weeks ago, and am
trying to get sendmail working.  In 1.6.1, I recall just editing
/etc/mail/sendmail.cf.  Now when I do that, the changes are lost
at reboot, and the file reverts to the default.

I saw the warning about not editing the file, and have figured
out how to create a new .cf from the stuff in /usr/share/sendmail.
I'm just wondering what process at boot-up changes the altered
/etc/mail/sendmail.cf back to the original distribution?

I've looked thru rc.conf rc.d/sendmail, and sendmail started by
hand doesn't seem to do it!

The post in August had some helpful responses.  Could all this info
be included in the 1.6.2 install document to help people migrate?

Also, what process makes copies of the etc config files in /var/backups?

Thanks!

   =