Subject: Re: booting boot-big.fs via USB
To: Nicolas Saurbier <djroyal-t@djroyal-t.de>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 12/11/2003 20:14:49
On Tue, Dec 09, 2003 at 06:14:51PM +0100, Nicolas Saurbier wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Iīm trying to install NetBSD on my Booksize-PC that has no Floppy-Drive.
> So I did rawrite boot-big.fs => USB-Stick . Now, when I try booting via
> USB, the error-message: "No NetBSD Part" appears and my system freezes.
> Any idea on that? I have a 40Gig HDD in that PC with Mandrake on it.
> Do I have to format that disk before I try to install NetBSD???? Donīt
> think so...

I guess this is because the boot loader behaves differently when used
on a floppy or a disk. I'm not sure this is really desirable behavior,
and that we should be able to use the floppy images for disks too, but
that's another problem.

I can see 2 possible work around for this:
- try the cdrom image, maybe it'll work
- make the USB-Stick dos bootable (freedos should work too) and use dosboot.com
  to load netbsd-INSTALL.gz

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>