Subject: Re: Larger text
To: Andy Ball <andy.ball@earthlink.net>
From: Gilbert Fernandes <gilbertf@netbsd-fr.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 12/08/2003 13:14:01
On Sun, Dec 07, 2003 at 04:38:11PM -0600, Andy Ball wrote:

>   ML> If someone could tell me the fastest way to start
>     > seeing enlarged text on my macppc powerbook G3, I
>     > would be much obliged!  Thanks.
>
> I'm not sure of the fastest way to get large text on your
> PowerBook, but I've been trying (although not very hard) to
> achieve the opposite effect: squeezing more characters on a
> larger screen.

this is rather easy. the kernel will use the biggest
font it has on boot. if you check your kernel, you
will see it uses a font called GALLANT per default,
so you can add an option to your kernel config to
select a smaller font. if you choose a small one like
a 8x8 one, you will end up with a nice and huge
console :)

you can see the available fonts by checking
sources there :

/usr/src/sys/dev/wsfont

the default one is (if i remember correctly)
the GALLANT_12x22 but i'm not sure. last time i
played with fonts was with openbsd on a 12" ibook.

i have, at that time, wrote a kind of how-to that
explained how to install openbsd on that machine
(i later installed netbsd but i never wrote a
howto about it - i can upon request of course
but it's pretty close to how openbsd behaves)

url for the smaller font config :

http://open.bsdcow.net/articles/ibook-faq/ibook8.html

you just have to select a bigger font. this
works pretty nice on framebuffer machines
like the ibook is and most mac machines :)

email me if you're still stuck, i'll grab
my sister's ibook and find out with netbsd

--
Gilbert Fernandes