Subject: Re: netbsd
To: Mark Loesch <markloesch@earthlink.net>
From: Keith Parker <kparker4@midsouth.rr.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 12/07/2003 17:49:14
Hi Mark,

I emailed a friend of mine (the guy who convinced me to try NetBSD) who's=20
got NetBSD running on a Powerbook.  I don't know if this will help (if=20
you're saying that a text-only install is still not readable)  but here's=20
what he said:

------------------------------
I can't be much help; Open Firmware (which is PowerPC Macs' BIOS, kinda)=20
text can't be enlarged AFAIK -- and interacting with it is necessary for=20
booting NetBSD -- plus I've never gotten X11 in NetBSD/macppc running=20
beyond 256 colors. On the up side, NetBSD/macppc console text is really=
 large.

I eventually want to work this out, but because OS X is graphically=20
spectacular (and a BSD in its own right), and Gentoo (and Debian) Linux/ppc=
=20
at least in the ballpark, full frontal NetBSD/macppc graphical setup is=20
something I just haven't gotten around to (even though 4GB of my TiBook=20
drive now harbors a perfectly functional NetBSD 1.6.1 console-only install).

Maybe someone else can add something...