Subject: Problem with auvia and artsd
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Charlie & <>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 12/04/2003 15:12:41
I am using NetBSD-1.6U (i386) snapshot and KDE 3.1 from pkgsrc, but I am not
able to get my sound card to work with artsd. I can use xmms without
problems. Arts fails with this message:

AudioSubSystem::handleIO: write failed
len = 964, can_write = 1024, errno = 17 (File exists)

According to the Arts Faq this is a 'hardware related problem' caused by the
driver not supplying arstd with the correct infomation.
Does anyone know what the problem is, and if it can be solved?

Thanks,
Stephen

My Motherboard is a Gigibyte GA-7VT600 (onboard sound) and NetBSD detects my
sound card as a VIA VT8235 AC'97 Audio card. here is the relevant section of
dmesg:

VIA Technologies product 0x3104 (USB serial bus, interface 0x20, revision
0x86)
at pci0 dev 16 function 4 not configured
pcib0 at pci0 dev 17 function 0
pcib0: VIA Technologies product 0x3227 (rev. 0x00)
auvia0 at pci0 dev 17 function 5: VIA VT8235 AC'97 Audio (rev 0x60)
auvia0: interrupting at irq 11
auvia0: Avance Logic unknown (0x414c4760) codec; no 3D stereo
auvia0: S/PDIF, center DAC, surround DAC, LFE DAC
audio0 at auvia0: full duplex, independent