Subject: Re: Font problem only with Gnome, Bluefish, Sodipodi and QCad --
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Gan Uesli Starling <alias@starling.us>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/30/2003 19:49:22
Yes it surely must be a Gtk2 problem, since all three
programs are Gtk2. Per an earlier suggestion I had played around
with ~/.gtkrc and got expected results in GIMP, but none at
all in Bluefish, Sodipodi or QCad.

Mostly I had been wanting to use Sodipodi. So I'd always
checked by starting that. But I note that when instead
I start Bluefish, I see this error on the cli...

** (bluefish:6510): WARNING **: Invalid UTF8 string passed to pango_layout_set_text()

...which I am guessing must be related? Prior to seeing that
I had poked around Gtk2-related stuff thus:

1. Commented out 'xdm=YES' in /etc/rc.conf
2. Rebooted and started X with 'startx -- -dpi 100'
3. Rebooted again, starting X with 'startx -- -dpi 75'

...but neither helped. Then I compared between my working Celeron 700
tower PC and my badly-fonted PII laptop thus:

1. /usr/pkg/etc/fontconfig/fonts.conf
2. /usr/pkg/etc/fontconfig/fonts.dtd
3. /usr/X11Ry/lib/X11/XftConfig

But all three files are similar and have same chmod on both PCs.

Neither PC had a ~/.gtkrc-2.0 file, so I made one for the laptop
with this line...

gtk-font-name = "Times New Roman 15"

...but no go. So I tried again with this different line...

gtk-font-name = "Arial 12"

...but still no go.

I have also tried rebuilding practically from zero by running
this...

pkg_delete -r Xft2

...and then rebuilding Bluefish, Sodipodi. But even that
had no effect. Now I am rebuilding QCad. When it is done I
will run QCad to see if it too gives a pango error.

--

  Mistera Sturno - Rarest Extinct Bird

  <(+)__       Gan Uesli Starling
   ((__/)=-    Kalamazoo, MI, USA