Subject: "Multilink PPP" for satellite return path?
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Daniel Brown <dan@27d.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/27/2003 19:32:59
Hi,

A school I'm involved with uses one-way satellite for 'broadband' internet,
with a modem connection as a return path into the network.

For reasons too unbelievable to recount, we cannot get the modem speed for
the return path above about 19.2kbps. This has an obvious impact on the
effective  bandwidth available to the school.

One possibility to improve the situation appears to be to use more than one
dial-up connection, to increase the aggregate bandwidth available to the
return path.

Has anyone any experience with this sort of thing? Is there some mechanism
available to load-balance across 2 active PPP connections? Are issues with
packet reordering likely to offset any increase in bandwidth we might
achieve?

I've spent a little while reading about Multilink PPP, but that seems more
targeted at ISDN connections, and requires cooperation of the peer to work.

We've thought of other ways of attacking the problem (ADSL, 2-way satellite,
etc.) but all have serious issues in the country in which this particular
school resides.

Thanks in advance,

Dan.