Subject: Finding NICnames was Re: D-Link DFE-670TXD
To: Soren Jacobsen <snj@pobox.com>
From: Keith Parker <kparker@xtechsolutions.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/26/2003 19:36:20
Soren:

Thanks for the information.

Your reply:

1) Made me change my Rhat -> NetBSD instructions
2) Makes me glad that several people have volunteered to review them!  :)

In my haste to be helpful, I answered a different question than the one
that was asked.  The question I answered was: "How do you determine an
uninitialized NIC's address (and assigned name)?"

The reason for the "dmesg | grep" business in my reply originated in my
attempt to determine the NetBSD-assigned interface names.  Rhat's naming
system is unrelated to chipset, but is sequential (eth0, eth1, eth2,
etc).  It was a shock to find no "eth0", and my first thought was that my
NICs had not been seen.  It was interesting to discover that NetBSD's
NICnames seemed to be tied to the chipset.  I'm thinking that other Rhat
users will be thrown by that one as well.

Unfortunately, I *assumed* that an ifconfig would not report NICs that did
not have /etc/ifconfig.xxx files created for them.  I didn't understand,
though it seems silly to say it, that the boot messages were showing driver
attachments (thanks Mr. Schabert) and that if a driver was attached to a
NIC, it would be displayed by an ifconfig.  I was thinking of ifconfig as
reporting on "NICs with network addresses assigned", but now understand
that ifconfig reports "NICs with drivers attached" regardless of their
network address assignment status.

I'm going to recommend ifconfig -a instead (thanks Mr. Shannon, et al), but
will probably mention the "grep /var/run/dmesg.boot" command you pointed
out just as an interesting fact.

PS: Thanks for the 'awk' lesson!  :)