Subject: Re: how to run java applets in a browser?
To: Sverre Froyen <sverre@viewmark.com>
From: James Wetterau <jwjr@panix.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/25/2003 11:16:42
Sverre Froyen says:
> On Monday 24 November 2003 11:39 am, Christos Zoulas wrote:
> >
> > No, to my knowledge mozilla-linux is the only game in town until
> > we get the ability to distribute native java binaries.
>
> konqueror + sun-jdk14 (linux) works fine too.

FWIW, the thing that confused me was that mozilla-linux no longer
exists.  Evidently it is now known as netscape7.  I tried that, and I
ran into some other problems, but it looked like I could probably find
a way eventually to get it to work with more effort.

The error with Netscape7 was:

"LoadPlugin: failed to initialize shared library
/usr/pkg/lib/netscape/netscape7/plugins/java2/plugin/i386/ns600/libjavaplugin_oji.so
[/usr/pkg/lib/netscape/netscape7/plugins/java2/plugin/i386/ns600/libjavaplugin_oji.so:
undefined symbol: __vt_17nsGetServiceByCID]"

And then I found references to that in the NetBSD mailing list
archives, along with discussions about how to get around it.

I gave up since I ran out of time to experiment with different browser
and jdk combinations in order to figure out which ones work, so I used
a Windows machine for this purpose, but I appreciate the help.

--
James Wetterau, Jr.		jwjr@panix.com (h)   james@surgam.net  (w)
  "The majority is never right. Never, I tell you! That's one of these