Subject: Re: PCMCIA Wi-fi compatibility?
To: Diana Eichert <deichert@wrench.com>
From: JS <oghistorian@yahoo.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/24/2003 15:27:50
Hi Chuck and Diana,

--- Diana Eichert <deichert@wrench.com> wrote:
> yeah, a note about links, I read mail via Pine MUA
> that's not setup to
> follow links.  So I had to cut n' paste your link
> into Mozilla.

Ahh, ok then.  Since I use a web based email, ie
Yahoo, all the links are actually hyperlinks so I
don't have to cut and paste.  Because of that, I
didn't realize that other mail clients don't do that
automatically.  Next time I'll include some info and a
link.

--- Chuck Yerkes <chuck+nbsd@2003.snew.com> wrote:
> But they use the Hermes Chipset (I have a couple
> here) and
> won't act in AP mode - my Mac's see them as "peer to
> peer"
> computers.  So I have a prism one for the base
> station (and
> a Atheros one going in this week!).
>
> For end client use, the Orinoco/Lucent/Agere cards
> (the engineers
> never moved, they just have piles of useless
> stationary) are very
> sensitive.
>
> Gold/Silver doesn't really matter as WEP is useless
> for any
> security against all but the most lazy.  IPSEC is a
> fine way
> to secure your links.

Also, thanks Chuck for the info about the WaveLan
card.  My main goal with getting the card was really
just to setup a wireless internet access point just
for one other computer, my Mac PowerBook, which has an
airport extreme card in it.  From what I read, it
seems feasible, but I do have a question about setting
it up. Would it be possible to setup the card in
ad-hoc mode, since I only need it to communicate with
one device and only need it in a short range?  This
would also add a benefit of some security since it
reduces range and only allows one device.

Thanks for the help!
J Silverman