Subject: Re: PCMCIA Wi-fi compatibility?
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.org>
From: Chuck Yerkes <chuck+nbsd@2003.snew.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/23/2003 20:54:40
But they use the Hermes Chipset (I have a couple here) and
won't act in AP mode - my Mac's see them as "peer to peer"
computers.  So I have a prism one for the base station (and
a Atheros one going in this week!).

For end client use, the Orinoco/Lucent/Agere cards (the engineers
never moved, they just have piles of useless stationary) are very
sensitive.

Gold/Silver doesn't really matter as WEP is useless for any
security against all but the most lazy.  IPSEC is a fine way
to secure your links.

Quoting JS (oghistorian@yahoo.com):
> Hi John and All,
>
> Thank you for pointing out the Orinoco cards.  I found
> a good priced Lucent Silver Wavelan card, which I have
> found to be just an older Orinoco card. I bought it
> today and should be able to try it out in a few days.
>
> Thank you everyone for trying to help me find a
> compatible card.  I really appreciate it!
>
> J Silverman
>
> --- "John R. Shannon" <john@johnrshannon.com> wrote:
>

> > I don't know about this card one way or another. I'm
> > E-mailing you to mention
> > that the Orinoco cards have earned a good reputation
for reliability and are