Subject: Re: PCMCIA Wi-fi compatibility?
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.org>
From: Chuck Yerkes <chuck+nbsd@2003.snew.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/23/2003 20:50:39
Quoting JS (oghistorian@yahoo.com):
> Hi Diana and Chuck,
>
> --- Diana Eichert <deichert@wrench.com> wrote:
> > That's why I recommended NetGate's product, 'cause
> > they indicate NetBSD
> Ahh, never thought about that.  I would have thought
> that they would keep the same chipset with the same
> model.

You'd think so.  But to randomly mix metaphors and simile's:
look at the 1965 Ford Mustang and the 1985 ones - unrelated.  The
original used a Prism chipset and could act as an airport, the
other one imitates the Pinto and only really works for Windows
users.

> --- Chuck Yerkes <chuck+nbsd@2003.snew.com> wrote:
> Well, if that's the case, I'll have to look into
> NetGate's products.
I know that the guys at Netgate (it's not a mega company)
actively USE the cards regularly, though perhaps on Linux.

>  Also, sorry about the linking, I
> thought it would have been easier for someone to
> identify the card through a link to a page about it
> than for me to try and describe it.
A little of both helps.  If I see Linksys D520 then I might recall
that they have a "B" revision that's based on the Pinto (see above)
and might look, but if it's a AirZapper 2750, I don't know anything
about it and pass.  But I'm not motivated enough to start up a
browser and paste the URL in and look so I do the default "pass".