Subject: Re: PCMCIA Wi-fi compatibility?
To: Diana Eichert <deichert@wrench.com>
From: JS <oghistorian@yahoo.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/23/2003 11:01:04
Hi Diana and Chuck,

--- Diana Eichert <deichert@wrench.com> wrote:
> That's why I recommended NetGate's product, 'cause
> they indicate NetBSD
> support.  The problem with Wireless cards is the
> vendor changes chipsets
> without changing the model number, no one cares
> about this in the Windows
> world as the vendor provides the driver, but in the
> Open source "unix"
> arena there's no guarantee.  My suggestion to you is
> buy a card from a
> vendor you can return it to "if" it doesn't work.  I
> have a USB modem
> laying around that doesn't work properly under *BSD,
> even though it was a
> "supported" model.  The chipset changed but the
> model number stayed the
> same.

Ahh, never thought about that.  I would have thought
that they would keep the same chipset with the same
model.

--- Chuck Yerkes <chuck+nbsd@2003.snew.com> wrote:
> Dude, you've been given a pointer to a really good
> card.
> I was about to write that into the list.
>
> That we *know* works.  For not a ton of money.  From
> a small
> company that's put effort into helping out people on
> BSD projects
> (and verifying that stuff works, etc).
>
> Or you can roll the dice and save $16 on something
> from eBay
> after using up all your help-karma by making lots of
> people
> follow a link that you put up (we'd care a bit more
> if you put
> the pertinent info in your posting directly rather
> than making
> us work to help you).
>
> Have to return one card and you've spent the
> time/money that you
> saved by getting something that's know to work 100%.
>
> chuck
> (replies to list).

Well, if that's the case, I'll have to look into
NetGate's products.  Also, sorry about the linking, I
thought it would have been easier for someone to
identify the card through a link to a page about it
than for me to try and describe it.

Thanks for all the help!
J Silverman