Subject: Re: PCMCIA Wi-fi compatibility?
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.org>
From: Diana Eichert <deichert@wrench.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/23/2003 09:52:44
You know I can't really tell you except doing a search on Google for
"Xircom Wireless PCMCIA NetBSD" brought up this as the first hit;
http://www.netbsd.org/Hardware/pcmcia.html

That's why I recommended NetGate's product, 'cause they indicate NetBSD
support.  The problem with Wireless cards is the vendor changes chipsets
without changing the model number, no one cares about this in the Windows
world as the vendor provides the driver, but in the Open source "unix"
arena there's no guarantee.  My suggestion to you is buy a card from a
vendor you can return it to "if" it doesn't work.  I have a USB modem
laying around that doesn't work properly under *BSD, even though it was a
"supported" model.  The chipset changed but the model number stayed the
same.

Caveat Emptor

diana