Subject: Re: some problem with lucent modem
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/20/2003 14:18:29
On Thu, Nov 20, 2003 at 03:00:42PM +0100, frederic.nivor@iedparis8.net wrote:
> So I think it's a "real" modem, because I'm so curious and I've taken
> apart my laptop, and the Lucent modem look like present, with the Lucent
> chip 1646T00  REA 12V  0001S 4185474.
>
> Lucent Technologies LT Modem (miscellaneous communications, revision
> 0x01) at pci0 dev 9 function 0 not configured

There are 3 sorts of modems, depending on how much of the 'modem' is
implemented in the modem itself:
    Software modem:	Use host for DSP
    Host controlled:	Hardware DSP, but require host software for
			all the controlling functions.
    Hardware modem: 	No special host software required.

Most PCI and USB modems are either soft modems, or host controlled
(also called controllerless) modems, very few are true hardware modems
(even though some advertising might suggest otherwise).

Async connected modems, and many PCMCIA (but not PcCard) are
likely to be hardware modems.

The fact that your card is identified as a "miscellaneous communications"
device makes it probably that it requires a (windows) host driver.

	David

--
David Laight: david@l8s.co.uk