Subject: Re: help mounting ntfs partition.
To: None <mrk@coris.org.uk>
From: Robert Elz <kre@munnari.OZ.AU>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/20/2003 19:13:51
    Date:        Thu, 20 Nov 2003 11:34:18 +0000
    From:        Mark Kirby <mrk@coris.org.uk>

  | i want to be able to mount the second partition, so that i
  | can swap files as i still use both systems,

Depending upon what "swap" means you might be out of luck.   NetBSD's
NTFS is currently still really read only - if you try adding files to
a NTFS filesystem (a read/write mount will succeed I believe) you're
likely to simply trash the whole thing.   Just mount read only, and
make yourself content with one way sharing (NetBSD can see the NTFS
files, bit wintrash can't see anything from NetBSD).

When I have set up systems where this kind of thng was needed, I have
made a FAT32 partition (doesn't need to be huge) so that two way
transmission of data is possible.

  | and i dont really want to have two copies of my mp3 collection.

If you store it all on the NTFS, and only update it from windows,
that should work OK.

  | when i type mount /NTFS i get the following error
  |
  | # mount /NTFS
  | mount: mount_NTFS not found for /NTFS.
  |
  | This suggests i've mucked up somewhere.

As Dominik said, change your fstab (that you didn't show) from using
NTFS to ntfs - and also make the mount type be "ro", rather than "rw"
in the mount options (as you would for a CD).

kre