Subject: Re: Help on loopback configuration
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
From: None <sutre@labri.fr>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/19/2003 01:32:17
> If netmask 0xffffffff creates the route automatically this is probably =
the
> way
> to go.

Right :-)

However, with any netmask that is (strictly) "more restrictive" than
0xff000000, ifconfig lo0 alias 127.0.0.2 netmask [...] also creates the
route automatically (which seems the right thing as the "alias network"
is then a sub-network of the default loopback network).

So I could as well choose 0xfff00000 instead of 0xffffffff and the system
would behave the same?

> Can't you just add the FQDN to the 127.0.0.1 line ?
> This is what I do on my systems with no permanent IP connection.

I have read in several posts (not necessarily NetBSD related) that adding
non localhost related aliases to 127.0.0.1 may break some applications.  =
So
these posts suggested to use 127.0.0.2 for the host's name.  I didn't loo=
for details though...  I thought it would be "nice" anyway to keep localh=
ost
and hostname separated (as long as it does not introduce bugs).

Thanks for your help,

Gregoire.