Subject: Re: some problem with lucent modem
To: None <frederic.nivor@iedparis8.net>
From: Gilbert Fernandes <gilbertf@netbsd-fr.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/18/2003 21:55:34
On Tue, Nov 18, 2003 at 07:27:27PM +0100, frederic.nivor@iedparis8.net wrote:

> hi, i have a laptop COMPAQ Presario 1200 xl103, and my dmesg with
> netbsd1.6.1 look like this:
> Lucent Technologies LT Modem (miscellaneous communications, revision 0x01)
> at pci0 dev 9 function 0 not configured

not configured means the kernel has no code
to handle it. sadly, as most laptop modems
are "soft modems" (to lower their price,
they have no digital to audio encoder,
this work is left to the cpu which raises
its load as modem use grows) and very, very
often we have no source for them.

you can try to check if there's linux
support for your modem and port the code.
i got a lucent modem and ibm did put out
a linux driver; if there's a linux driver
there's good hope it can be made to work
but mot sure.

> Then, I have an other problem in my dmesg:
> VIA Technologies VT82C686A SMBus Controller (ISA bridge, revision 0x20) at
> pc0 dev 7 function 4 not configured
> Texas Instruments PCI1211 PCI-CardBus Bridge (CardBus bridge) at pci0 dev
> 10 function 0 not configured

this is not, per se, a problem. i got a
smbus too and i've been working on code
to get mine supported (i use a thinkpad
x30 model). the smbus is an intel variant
of a 2-wire simple bus developped by
philipps. what is usually found on the
smbus is thermal sensor and, sometimes,
infrared device. once i'll be able to poll
what's on the smbus i'll know what's on
mine but i'm still reading sources to find
how i can implement an ioctl i would call
from userland.

> And with an other laptop, HP OmniBook 7100, I have this dmesg:
> Texas Instruments PCI1250 PCI-CardBus Bridge (CardBus bridge revision
> 0x02) at pci0 dev4 function 0 not configured
> same with    function 1 not configured

check which kernel you are running. look
in /usr/src/sys/i386/conf and verify if
your kernel has some cardbus lines commented
out (that was the case for two cardbus lines
on some previous kernels 1.6 or before).

> Intel 82371AB Power Management Controller (PIIX4) (miscellaneous bridge,
> revision 0x02) at pci0 dev 7 function 3 not configured

compile a new kernel with apm
(just cp GENERIC to something like MOOMOO and
edit it so the apm line no longer starts
with a #) - there are docs that explain how
to compile kernels.

check your "man options" too.

and last: have your mailer cut lines at 72
chars or 80 _please_ (:

--
Gilbert Fernandes