Subject: Re: Escalade 5000?
To: Matt Herzog <mherzog@acamm.org>
From: Luke Mewburn <lukem@NetBSD.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/17/2003 10:33:15
On Sun, Nov 16, 2003 at 02:31:22PM -0500, Matt Herzog wrote:
  | Does anyone know if these cards can do RAID5 or are they just capable of
  | RAID 0, 1 and 10?
  |
  | It's being sold as "3WARE DiskSwitch AccelerATA 8 port UDMA100 EIDE RAID
  | Card."

I have a 6400, which is a newer generation card than the 5000.
There was a firmware upgrade made available a while after release
which added RAID5 support, but the performance was terrible.
3Ware enhanced their product line to improve RAID5 performance,
and all the modern cards (750x, 850x) with more than two ports
have those enhancements.

I'd just do RAID1 on a 5000 or 6000 series card.

FWIW: I've also been doing testing of an 8506-8 (8 port SATA), and I've
been very happy so far.  I won't be buying non serial ATA disks any more.